LAR II is the second phase of the projects which are financed by the EU in the framework of IPA funds and implemented by the UNDP to support local administration reforms.
LAR III is the third phase of the projects which are financed by the EU in the framework of IPA funds and implemented by the UNDP to support local administration reforms.
The first phase of this project series (LAR I) was carried out in the period of 2005-2007 and the second phase (LAR II) was implemented in the period of 2009-2011. LAR III targets to carry out a series of activities aimed at enhancing and strengthening the administrative capacities of local administrations together with the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization as co-beneficiaries and ensuring participation within our local government system, benefiting from the outputs of previous projects. The Project is planned to be implemented in the period of 2018-2021 and the total contract amount is 5.4 million EUR.
HOW CAN OUR MUNICIPALITIES BENEFIT FROM LOCAL ADMINISTRATION REFORM PHASE III (LAR III) PROJECT ACTIVITIES?
Local Administration Reform Project Phase III is a capacity building project as in the previous phases. In other words, it does not provide a financial contribution to our municipalities. However, with its capacity building dimension, it both supports the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization which are in the decision-making position within the central government, especially in the development and monitoring of legislation and it enables our municipalities to benefit from the project implementation process in a way to increase their capacity through the mechanisms that encourage our municipalities to actively contribute to the project activities and outputs.
Accordingly, LAR III Project enables the municipalities to benefit from our project through;
- Providing opportunities to become a pilot municipality in the Performance Management System works,
- Ensuring their participation in the municipal mappings that will provide experience sharing in the Development of Different Metropolitan Models,
- Enabling them to participate in the focus group workings in the practice of Service Standard Setting,
- Proving the opportunity to become a pilot municipality within the practice of the Participatory Local Governance Model.
However, it is not limited to these. The Project also provides the municipalities with the opportunity to be invited to various workshops to be organized and the opportunity of information sharing through face-to-face interviews and conferences, benefiting from project activities.
The Project has three components.
Effective Local Service Delivery
The activities under this Component focus on;
- Strengthening the loan system of municipalities,
- Following up municipal receivables,
- Increasing the income of municipalities,
- Income sharing systems,
- Prioritizing investments in rural areas,
- Comparative studies on the status of Municipal Enterprises and Water and
- Sewerage Administrations with the EU countries and accordingly providing suggestions to the beneficiaries about the legislative changes to be made.
- Internalization of the issues concerning municipalities within the EU acquis
- Making determinations on the capacity building for improving and monitoring the performance management system in municipalities
- Conducting due diligence and comparative analyses on how municipalities operate in selected service areas and providing suggestions
- Developing standards for improving the municipal personnel system are among other activities.
The New Metropolitan Municipality Model and Capacity Building for Inclusive Local Governance Processes
Under this Component, with the help of various surveys, workshops and events, the following activities are aimed;
- Determining the effect of the implementation of the Metropolitan Municipality Law on the municipalities, developing a software which will monitor the effect of the reforms,
- Proposing a new model for the Metropolitan Municipality structure,
- Providing trainings for the municipal staff,
- Providing trainings for the municipal staff,
- Developing service standards in the service areas to be determined,
- Developing a model for enabling participation in metropolitan cities,
- Contributing to the development of policies on strengthening the municipal election system and municipal councils,
- Developing programs for disadvantaged groups (women, children, disabled).
Establishment and Updating of the Management Information System Infrastructure pertaining to the Local Administration System
Under this Component, it is aimed to strengthen the database known as YERELBİLGİ. This Component, as a support component, aims to develop the software needed by the other two components (such as Performance Management System, Reform and Legislation Monitoring System).
This project is funded by the European Union. The contents of this website is the sole responsibility of UNDP Turkey and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.